In order to provide quality guidance in formulating an academic plan tailored to the student’s interests and goals, each undergraduate is assigned a faculty advisor in the School of Meteorology. This typically happens in the Fall of their sophomore year, or upon arrival for transfer students.
The advisor will assist in the selection of courses, provide specific information on degree requirements, and help map out a plan for completing your degree in an optimal time frame. We make every attempt for students to see the same advisor each semester, but they may be assigned a different advisor temporarily due to sabbaticals and other extenuating circumstances. Students may also see Ms. Shelby Hill for help with financial issues, personal issues that may prevent scholastic success, etc.
- Students are asked to check Degree Navigator and come to their advising appointment with a practice class schedule for the upcoming semester.
- Advising appointments in the School of Meteorology are scheduled via iAdvise.ou.edu.
- Appointments at the College level (typically for graduation checks and academic contracts) are scheduled by calling 405-325-3095. Students are asked to set their appointments early despite any holds from the Bursar’s office or other offices on campus. This will prevent a delay in enrollment whenever the hold is cleared.
- A resource that may be useful as you are deciding on which elective courses to take is the information published by the American Meteorology Society. Although the guideline is directed at meteorology departments, it also contains some useful information on courses for different career goals. https://www2.ametsoc.org/ams/index.cfm/about-ams/ams-statements/statements-of-the-ams-in-force/bachelor-s-degree-in-atmospheric-science/
- Students who need assistance or have questions should email Shelby Hill below