Students in the School of Meteorology are strongly encouraged to pursue an internship. Internships provide students with the opportunity to gain professional experience in their field of study, and may lead to an entry-level position with the business where the internship was performed after graduation.
Although students are not required to seek credit for an internship, many internship employers require that students be enrolled in an internship class. Students may earn 1-3 hours of credit for an Internship. Internships may be completed at any time during the academic year, and may be either paid or unpaid. Internships are graded S/U and will not be included in your retention grade point average.
To receive academic credit through the School of Meteorology for an internship, a student must:
- Have a declared a major in Meteorology
- Have a minimum 2.0 OU and Retention GPA
- Have a faculty member agree to supervise them
- Reach an agreement with the faculty supervisor as to what will be required to recieve credit (i.e. paper summarizing the experiment, presentation to a class, etc.)
- Receive approval from their faculty advisor to receive credit
- Submit an A&GS Internship Application (PDF) to the undergraduate coordinator
- Enroll in the section of METR 3890 assigned to your faculty supervisor
The School is working to build a database of past internships that have been open to, or held by, OU Meteorology students. That information will be found on this page as soon as it is available.