How do I apply to OU for a meteorology graduate degree?

 If you choose the next step is to formally apply for admission to the Graduate College through the Office of Admissions and Records. At that time, the applicant will be asked to have three letters of reference sent to the University,  official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, and GRE scores.

May I be admitted directly to the PhD program without first obtaining an MS?

Even though OU has a policy that allows for direct admission into a PhD program, the School of Meteorology strongly advises you to first matriculate as an MS degree student. After you have begun the MS degree program, it is possible to switch to the PhD program with permission from the School of Meteorology, if such a track is deemed to be optimal for you.

What is the deadline for submitting my application?

For Fall admission, the School of Meteorology prefers to receive the application when you have one semester (or less) to complete in your current degree program. For most applicants, that means submitting the Application without your most recent Fall grades included.  Beginning in early February, the School of Meteorology (and separately OU) may notify you that you have been admitted to the graduate degree program, and the School of Meteorology may notify you of an offer for employment as either a Graduate Teaching Assistant or Graduate Research Assistant. The deadline for Spring is November 1st for U.S. residents and September 1st for international students. Please refer to the Office of Admissions and Records for further information.

Does the School of Meteorology accept new graduate students in the Spring?

We do sometimes accept new students for Spring admission. There are not usually more than 1 or 2 (if any) funded positions available, but occasionally funding for an RA position becomes available after the beginning of the Fall semester. For a student beginning in Spring semester, courses will be somewhat out of sequence. However, it is generally easy to coordinate any differences.

Is there a fee to apply to the School of Meteorology?

The Office of Admissions does charge a processing fee. If you are mailing the University admission fee, please send it to the Office of Admissions with your application and an original transcript.

Is the GRE required?

While the University of Oklahoma does not require the GRE, the School of Meteorology does require the GRE. No separate subject test is necessary.

Is there a minimum GRE score required?

We have no minimum requirement for GRE scores. Most admitted students have a score greater than the 70th percentile in the math section. We recommend that you do your best. If you feel as though you could have done better, you may want to consider retaking the test.

Do I have to have a bachelor’s degree in Meteorology to attend graduate school?

No. Please refer to our website for a list of classes that it would be helpful to have completed as an undergraduate before pursuing a M.S. or Ph.D at OU. These include Calculus, Differential Equations, and calculus-based Physics classes. In particular, we are especially concerned that you have taken a course with similar content as our MATH 4163, Partial Differential Equations. This is a prerequisite for Atmospheric Dynamics I, a class you should take during your first Fall semester of enrollment

How long does it take to earn a degree?

Masters degrees typically take two years to complete. The time required to earn a Doctoral degree can vary, but ranges from four to six years.

What is the difference between TAs and RAs?

A graduate teaching assistant (GTA or TA) is provided a tuition waiver and stipend for teaching a course or grading for a professors course. A graduate research assistant (GRA or RA) is provided a tuition waiver and stipend for working on a research project. Starting graduate school as a TA gives you teaching experience and allows you more time to decide what area of research you are interested in. The School of Meteorology offers TA positions. Starting graduate school as a RA allows you to get started on your research right away. School of Meteorology faculty and/or adjunct faculty from affiliated institutions offer RA positions when funding is available.

Should I visit the campus?

Yes. Visiting OU will give you a chance to meet professors and students. However, a visit is not required. The School of Meteorology is located on the 5th floor of the National Weather Center (NWC). The NWC is home to a unique combination of University, State and Federal organizations that all work in harmony. Students benefit from interacting with world renowned scientists from several organizations inside the same building as their classes.

When will I receive a decision?

Our department will notify you if you are accepted or declined admittance into our program. However, if you have not had any communication from our department by late Spring/early Summer, you may want to contact us to find out about your admission status. (For Fall enrollment) Offer letters are sent as early as March and as late as June.