Frequently asked questions:

  • What is Meteorology? 
    Meteorology blends mathematics, physics, and computer sciences to provide a theoretical and applied framework to understand and predict the complexities of the atmosphere.
  • What type of job can I get with a degree in Meteorology? 
    Your undergraduate experience will prepare you for the pursuit of a broad range of careers in meteorology, environmental science, and related fields.
  • Will I have to get a Master’s degree or Ph.D. to be successful in this field?
    While approximately 40% of our students do go on to graduate schools across the nation, there are many career opportunities available to those with Bachelor’s degrees.
  • What is the best time to visit the OU School of Meteorology?
    While we are happy to meet with students at any time, certain times of year (Final Exams, holiday weeks, etc.) may be more difficult to schedule. We encourage students to schedule their visits 2 weeks ahead of time. Visits may be scheduled here:
    What may be the best time of year for high school students to visit is during our Summer Met Days. These are all-day events in which prospective students can meet faculty members, current students, learn about admission into the School, tour the National Weather Center, etc. More information can be found here:
  • How do I know if my classes will transfer to OU?
    The best way to know for certain whether classes will transfer to OU is to go ahead and apply – the Office of Admissions will evaluate your credits and we’ll be able to tell what officially came across. However, you can do an estimation by using the Transfer Equivalency Database, which will allow you to see how those credits have previously worked at OU.
  • Can I take my general education classes at another institution before coming to OU?
    You can definitely take courses at another institution* and then transfer them to OU; just be aware that not every class will transfer smoothly. It is important to work with the School of Meteorology to ensure the best possible outcome when transferring classes in. Students can use the Transfer Equivalency Database to see whether the class they wish to take elsewhere has an equivalent at the University of Oklahoma.
    *One unique aspect of this is for Calculus – we encourage students to try to complete all of their Calculus coursework at one institution. Therefore, if a student is going to start Calculus at another institution, it is best for them to make arrangements to complete all of their Calculus there.
  • Am I required to take a foreign language in order to obtain a degree in Meteorology?
    As demonstrated in the Meteorology checksheet, foreign language is a required part of this degree plan. However, a student can fulfill this requirement by taking two years of the same foreign language in high school or by completing an associate’s degree.
  • How can I prepare for a degree in Meteorology while in High School?
    You can begin preparing to earn a degree in Meteorology in a number of ways. Take as many math courses as you can, especially in algebra and calculus. Meteorology majors are required to complete Calculus I through IV for Science & Engineering majors, as well as Physical Math and a senior-level course in statistics. Transfer students are strongly encouraged to have Calculus I (MATH 1823) complete before their first semester at OU, as this course is the prerequisite to introductory courses in meteorology. If your school offers them, take Physics courses as well as courses in Computer Science (in particular, programming). A BS degree requires the completion of Physics for Science & Engineering Majors I & II, along with two separate physics labs (PHYS 1311 and PHYS 1321), and a course in computer programming for non-majors (CS 1313, which covers the C++ programming language). Take Chemistry; the BS degree requires that you complete General Chemistry I (CHEM 1315)If you are a high school student, take AP classes in as many subjects as possible; take the AP tests at the end of these courses to earn college credit. Studies have shown that students who take AP courses (regardless of the subject area), have much more realistic expectations of the amount of work necessary to succeed in courses at a university.You may also establish credit for some degree requirements by CLEP. Up to 1/4 of your degree requirements may be fulfilled with CLEP or AP credit.

    A Bachelor of Science degree through the College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences requires two years of high school foreign language (in the same language, with grades of C or better), or two beginning semesters in a foreign language at the college level.

    Prepare for and take the ACT, SAT, and PSAT exams. Retake these tests if your initial scores were low.

    Gradually increase your study time; many students study fewer than four hours per week; expect to study at least 15 hours per week to succeed in the meteorology degree program.

  • Can I meet with a faculty member?
    Our faculty and staff are always happy to meet with prospective students. Appointments can be scheduled here: (NEED LINK)
  • What kind of research can I do as an undergrad?
    Undergraduate students can do research through internships, independent research courses, honors courses, and other avenues. In some cases, the student may request to assist on a faculty member or affiliated scientist’s project, and in others, they may be working on a topic all their own.  In recent years, we’ve seen an increase in the number of paid research opportunities for undergraduates and opportunities for undergraduates to work on major grant-funded projects. One such project is Dr. Homeyer’s NASA radar project, which you can learn about by watching our video series:
  • Does the School of Meteorology offer online classes or distance degree options?
    The School of Meteorology is a traditional, in-person program. We do not offer an online or distance degree option at this time.
  • Does the School of Meteorology offer alternate class options for working adults?
    The School of Meteorology is a traditional, in-person program and does not offer special online-only degree programs at this time.
  • Does the School of Meteorology accept AP credit?
    The School of Meteorology complies with OU policy regarding AP credit. More information can be found on the OU Admissions website.
  • Is there a formal process of admission into the School of Meteorology other than or beyond admission to OU?
    Students admitted to the university will be accepted into the School as soon as they meet GPA and hour limit requirements (30 hours at 2.25 or higher)
  • How long will it take me to complete a degree in Meteorology at OU?
    Our undergraduate degree is designed to be completed over 8 semesters.

Students are encouraged to contact Shelby Hill, the undergraduate coordinator at with further questions.