Assistant Project Scientist
A two-year position as an Assistant Project Scientist is available in
the Earth Research Institute and Department of Geography at the
University of California, Santa Barbara.
The projects seek to:
1) The candidate
will analyze reanalyses and CMIP6 model data to perform multivariate
statistical analyses to understand the nature of changes in extreme
fire-weather behavior in recent years. In addition, the candidate will
design and carry on intermediate complex climate models to investigate
mechanisms associated with climate change and extreme fire weather
2) Carry out modeling studies to investigate anthropogenic
and natural variability forcings of climate change and extreme fire
weather in California;
3) Develop research products to improve the
monitoring and predictability of extreme fire weather in California;
4) Investigate mechanisms associated with downslope windstorms and
interactions with extreme fire weather behavior in California. The initial
appointment is for two years. The anticipated start date will be
The University is especially interested in candidates who can
contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community
through research, teaching and service as appropriate to the position.
Candidates must have a PhD in atmospheric sciences or a closely related field.
Additional qualifications (required at time of start)
* A minimum of 2 years of Postdoctoral experience
* Candidates need to have a minimum of 2 years of experience in
analyzing large data sets of global and regional model simulations
demonstrated by publications and data management experience.
* Demonstrated experience in using machine learning algorithms applied
to geoscience investigations demonstrated by publications and
* Candidates should have a minimum of 2 years of experience working
independently and collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team.
* Demonstrated experience in statistical analyses
* Weather Research and Forecasting model
* Complex and intermediate complexity models
* Linux environment and programming skills
* Strong written and oral communication skills demonstrated in peer
review publications and presentations in professional conferences
* Experience in IDL, Python, NCL, Matlab and/or FORTRAN
* Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
* Cover Letter
* Statement of Research
* One Publication Example
* 3-5 required (contact information only)
Please provide a name and email address for each reference. The
references of the top finalists may be contacted following the
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com