Associate Scientist, Earth Sciences
Tracking Code: 907-200
In this position, the researcher will conduct research to advance ground validation activities for the NASA Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) mission. The research will fall into three task areas : (a) characterizing uncertainties in satellite and ground-based (radar, dense gauge networks) rainfall estimates over a broad range of space/time scales; (b) using data from synergistic missions/sensors (e.g. SMOS, SMAP, GRACE, MODIS) to characterize correct detection or false alarms in GPM products; and (c) characterizing uncertainties in hydrologic models and understanding propagation of input uncertainties into model forecasts. The research involves work on retrospective regional analysis, retrospective global analysis, and real-time global analysis. The researcher will leverage existing open source modeling platforms including NASA’s Land Information System (LIS) to conduct these analyses.
- Uncertainty analysis for satellite and ground-based rainfall estimates
- Detection of errors and false alarms in satellite rainfall products
- Quantification of hydrological model uncertainties
- Presentation of research findings at national/international conferences and in peer-reviewed publications.
- Other job-related tasks as required by the research
- Master’s degree in the physical sciences
- 0-2 years’ experience in the physical sciences area.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Proficiency in land surface modeling and data assimilation algorithms.
- Should have knowledge of and have used remote sensing products including satellite precipitation, soil moisture, etc.
- Demonstrated proficiency in applying the above within a land surface modeling framework
- Successful record of independent research and publications in remote sensing
- Strong analytical and problem-solving background.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to learn and improve.
- Strong team player.
Work will be performed in an office or computer lab environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; talk or hear. Keyboarding for large time spans each day may be a significant part of this position.
Some travel will be required.
USRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity.
Greenbelt, Maryland, United States
To apply for this job please visit usracareers.silkroad.com.