Atmospheric Data Scientist
CFD Research Corporation’s is seeking a Senior Research Scientist with a background in Atmospheric Science, Computer Science or related disciplines and applied research experience to join our growing Weather Applications Team. CFD Research’s Weather Application team is a blended team of scientists and engineers developing cutting-edge weather-specific technologies and software solutions to aid customers, the public, and our employees in their weather-based decision making for more weather-ready and resilient communities. The Weather Applications Team builds software applications for defense weather interests to support the warfighter, web-based solutions for NOAA’s mission to protect life and property, and supports integration of weather intelligence into commercial needs, while maintaining data integrity and stewardship.
The candidate’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Algorithm development and software programming
- Lead technical research and development tasks
- Technical communication – reports, presentations for customers and across a diverse team
- Integrating weather applications with engineering software
- Proposal writing
- Mentoring and teaching team members
The ideal candidate provides independent thinking and initiative to provide solutions to technical challenges of CFD Research customers and stakeholders. The experienced candidate in this role will leverage their experiences in software engineering, atmospheric research, and meteorological applications to thrive in a fast-paced, cross-disciplinary environment to integrate scientific knowledge that crosses all three technical areas.. The ideal candidate can balance multiple projects, is customer-focused, and has a willingness to learn and grow. The candidate can explore additional areas of interest to develop their own ideas for grant applications or to develop new products.
Candidate is encouraged to include a cover letter with their application.
- Candidate must be a US Citizen and meet eligibility to obtain (and maintain) a clearance
- Advanced Degree (Master’s or PhD) in Atmospheric Science, Computer Science, Physics, or related discipline (equivalent experience may substitute for graduate degree)
- Candidate should have at least 7 years of applied research or development experience (including graduate work if applicable)
- Demonstrates fluency in Object-Oriented C++
- Experience with scientific Python (xarray, scipy, pandas, numpy, etc)
- Use of programming version control such as Git
- Curious learner and self-driven with excellent and creative problem-solving skills
- Experience with HDF5, NetCDF, GRIB, and JSON
- Experience working with Defense applications from either civilian or military background
- Strong communication skills, including report development and proposal writing experience
- Experience with satellite, weather radar, and remote sensing datasets
- Interest or Experience in data visualization, front end-application development, or artificial intelligence/machine learning is a plus but not required
- Experience compiling, executing, and analyzing numerical weather prediction model output
About the Company:
CFD Research is the technology leader in engineering simulations and innovative designs. Our services are used by many Fortune 500 and emerging high-tech companies, national laboratories, and universities worldwide. CFD Research develops cutting-edge technologies (software & hardware, designs and prototypes) with Federal agencies and provides the highest possible leverage to our industry partners.
CFD Research offers competitive salaries and excellent employee benefits, including an employer matching 401(k) and Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). CFD Research offers a highly competitive insurance package, including medical, vision, and dental insurance. We offer company paid long-term disability, accidental death and dismemberment, and life insurance. Performance appraisals occur each year and pay increases are based upon corporate goals, personal development, performance, and outstanding achievements. In addition, group and individual bonuses are awarded for exceptional performance.
CFD Research is an EO employer – Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories
To apply for this job please visit cfdrc.applicantpro.com.