Maxar’s WeatherDesk team is looking for an Atmospheric Scientist! This position requires someone who has the passion, organization, and vision to lead applied research and development activities that enable Maxar to deliver leading solutions which address evolving challenges related to the changing weather and climate. The position can be performed remotely.
If being empowered to tackle challenging problems and inventing new approaches to solve them sounds exciting, then we have a great opportunity for you!
WeatherDesk Scientists work on problems of diverse scope across weather and climate time scales, where deep analysis of data & techniques requires deep knowledge and the best scientific approaches. You’ll join a growing team that demonstrates good judgement in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining best-in-class, innovative solutions. You’ll collaborate daily alongside a team of weather data experts in support of products and services that meet and exceed diverse customer requirements.
Why the WeatherDesk team?
- We are trusted experts in atmospheric science, systems, data, and products.
- We are at the leading edge of high-performance computing (HPC) in the cloud.
- We build and operate a trusted and industry leading weather product suite used widely in the banking/finance, natural resources, and living resources industries.
- We work together to expand our skills and challenge each other to continually grow.
- Our work environment is results driven and fully remote.
- We love weather and the application of our field to support data-driven decision making!
Day-to-day with your colleagues:
- Contribute to the improvement of our scientific approach to global renewable energy forecasting, inclusive of wind & solar, onshore and offshore. Ongoing innovation is expected to keep our solution highly competitive.
- Lead the refinement of, and develop new techniques for, our approach to foundational weather forecasting. Efforts will likely include applying data assimilation techniques, data aggregation, and applicable AI/ML approaches, as warranted.
- Advise leadership on the assessment and enablement of the “art of the possible” related to climate forecasting solutions.
- Support engagements with foreign met agencies and modeling centers, to advise our customers and internal stakeholders on best approaches for solving NWP-related problems.
- Maintain a deep peer network (academia and professional orgs) to keep Maxar apprised of novel approaches to solving weather and climate problems. Quarterly readouts back to team.
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- PhD in Atmospheric Science or Applied Math (with professional experience in Atmospheric Science).
- 8 or more years of experience(a Masters degree may count for 2 yrs of experience).
- Advanced knowledge of the Python programming language.
- Experience with atmospheric data formats such as GRIB and NetCDF.
- Familiarity creating quantitative analyses and graphics using tools such as GrADS and various Python data science libraries.
- Demonstrated understanding of AI/ML techniques, preferably using Python, as they relate to meteorological and climatological applications.
- Experience developing in a cloud based Linux environment.
- Experience with version control software (Git).
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, EBS, RDS, Lambda) and the interaction with such resources using Python.
- Experience creating and transforming raster data sets.
- Familiarity using relational databases such as MySQL and/or PostgreSQL.
- Awareness of renewable energy forecasting and related scientific approaches.
- Understanding of numerical weather prediction and observational data assimilation techniques and their uses in various applications.
- Exposure to a variety of programming languages such as, Perl, C/C++, Fortran, and shell scripting.
- Experience performing research and development within the constraints of product timelines in the private sector.
- Experience working with customers and strategic partners to understand their needs.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Maintains a deep peer network (academia and professional) to keep Maxar apprised of novel approaches to solving weather and climate problems.
Travel Requirements – Potential travel to attend:
- Industry conferences
- Meetings with partners
- Meetings with customers
All Maxar U.S. employees and international employees who work in the U.S. and visit Maxar sites must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 no later than January 18, 2022, except in cases where legally entitled to an exception.
Maxar Technologies values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit maxar.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.