Nexstar Media Group Inc. is the largest TV station operator in the country. With the reach of 171 television stations in 100 markets addressing nearly 38.7% of US television households and a diversified, growing digital media operation. Nexstar Media Group Inc. is the parent company of Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc. & Nexstar Digital LLC. Learn more at [www.nexstar.tv]www.nexstar.tv.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
WVNS-TV in Beckley, WV is seeking an experienced Meteorologist with a compelling on-air presence, possessing excellent storytelling capabilities and a passion to be the best. This is a great opportunity to become part of our news team. The WVNS Meteorologist will exude personality, intelligence, and credibility both on and off the camera in this high-profile position and play a role in developing our weather team presence in the marketplace. Meteorological certification is a must.
WVNS 59 News produces more than 30 hours of news and weather content.
If you’re into adventure and weather is your thing, WVNS-TV is the place for you. The station is located near the base of a ski resort. The area has world-class white water rafting and zip-lining through the gorges. If backpacking is your thing, we have the Allegany and Appalachian trails. National Parks and miles of hiking trails are in our backyard. The area also offers rock climbing, lakes, outdoor sports, and many other leisure activities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Produces and presents weather reports for all platforms.
- Ensures that all weather/news content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
- Writes and delivers weather/news stories in a clear and concise manner.
- Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating weather programming and other content.
- Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsroom situations as required.
- Works closely with the weather team to develop comprehensive weather/news coverage.
- Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Writes web stories detailing the local forecast on a daily basis.
- Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites.
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- Fluency in English.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad-lib when required.
- Entry-level to 2 years’ experience in weather presentation preferred.
- Superior on-air presence.
- Proficiency with Barron’s Radar and Weather Central a plus.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritizes assignments, and handles multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong understanding of the field of Meteorology and a proven track record of forecasting.
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Flexibility to work any shift.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- The Meteorologist must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Meteorologist must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
WVNS-TV is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply online at: https://broadcastcareers-nexstar.icims.com
Apply Online URL:
Job Req #: