CIMMS Operations-to-Research Social Scientist or Practitioner
The Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies (CIMMS) at The University of Oklahoma seeks an Operations-to-Research social scientist or practitioner with experience driving evidence-based innovations forward within the Weather Enterprise. Practitioner groups can include, but are not limited to, operational forecasters, emergency managers, and broadcast meteorologists. This position would be at the Research Associate level. This position will work in Norman, OK at the National Weather Center (NWC), a highly collaborative operational, research, and academic environment.
This position will focus on building operations-to-research (O2R) linkages, especially with NWS forecasters, emergency managers, and broadcast meteorologists. Specifically, the social scientist or practitioner will:
● Identify operational and end-user needs/questions in support of research/technology development at NSSL, CRCM and CIMMS;
● Contribute to/assist with coordination of NOAA Hazardous Weather Testbed (HWT) experiments, including the Forecasting a Continuum of Environmental Threats (FACETs) emergency manager experiments;
● Generate new/innovative methods for producing O2R linkages within the testbed environment;
● Foster the development of the new WxInsights program, which translates communication-relevant research findings into brief, high-impact stories for broadcast meteorologists;
● Build/nurture relationships with operational & end-user communities to amplify the impact of NSSL, CRCM and CIMMS research broadly.
In conducting this work, the social scientist or practitioner will bring end-user perspectives to the research conducted at CIMMS, the National Severe Storms Laboratory, and the OU Center for Risk and Crisis Management. The position is envisioned to provide a strong presence within the Weather Enterprise broadly and demonstrate how operational and end-user concerns can drive weather research programs.
Research Associate Requirements:
● An M.S. or M.A. in Meteorology, Emergency Management, or in the Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences
● Experience documenting/building end-user and/or operational needs/requirements
● Experience in a collaborative environment, including work among multiple partner groups and organizations
● A track record of professional communication experience, including briefings or other routine communications with partners, authoring or co-authoring memos and professional reports, or producing high-quality broadcasts
Preference will be given to candidates with the following kinds of experience:
● Demonstrated ability to listen to input from multiple stakeholder groups
● Demonstrated ability to link operational and/or end-user needs with changes to policies, practices, or products
● Developed innovative methods for communicating the results of research for multiple audiences
● Strong interest in both meteorology and the social sciences
The beginning salary will be based on qualifications and experience with University benefits. Information on benefits may be found at https://hr.ou.edu/Employees. The start date for the position is negotiable but prior to August 1, 2021.
Appointment to this position is contingent on passing a Department of Commerce/NOAA background check.
To apply, please forward your CV, cover letter and list of three references to:
University of Oklahoma CIMMS
120 David L. Boren Blvd., Suite 2100
Norman, OK 73072-7304
ATTN: O2R Social Scientist
The University of Oklahoma is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
To apply for this job email your details to CIMMS-Careers@ou.edu