CIMMS Research Associate – AWIPS-2 Training Developer
The Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies (CIMMS) at The University of Oklahoma is currently seeking a Research Associate to collaborate with scientists and instructors at the National Weather Service (NWS) Warning Decision Training Division (WDTD) in Norman, OK, on creating technological and meteorological training for National Weather Service (NWS) forecasters and focal points using the Advanced Weather Information Processing System (AWIPS-2). This position focuses on using new AWIPS-2 capabilities and Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud technology to develop training designed to improve the configuration and use of AWIPS in NWS warning operations.
The duties of this position are:
1. Developing technical expertise with AWIPS-2 including content of new builds and configuration/installation of AWIPS-2 software,
2. Develop technical expertise with AWS cloud instances and using them to implement warning-related training,
3. Collaborate with WDTD instructors in a project-based environment to develop and deliver training on AWIPS-2 with special emphasis on the technology used in NWS warning decision making,
4. Acquire skills in operation of Linux and Windows workstations and cloud-based computing environments to support developing warning-related training, case studies, and simulations,
5. Develop expertise with products and applications used in the warning-decision making process including the WSR-88D, MRMS, satellite, lightning and convective-allowing models,
6. Participate in WDTD training workshops and experimental warning/forecast exercises,
7. Attend meetings and professional conferences to become knowledgeable of new meteorological applications and to interact with the applied-research community,
8. Review technical/professional publications and attend seminars to stay abreast of current developments in meteorological applications, and
9. Perform related duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications for the position are:
1. A Master’s Degree in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science, or related area; or
2. A Bachelor’s Degree in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science, or related area and at least three years’ experience in operational meteorology or applied research.
Emphasis will be placed on applicants with technical skills and experience in areas relating to NWS warning-decision making.
Applicants should identify expertise within any of the following areas: Linux (or Unix) operating systems and cloud technology; programming skills (Bash shell scripting, Python, JAVA, object oriented programming, GIS-based, web-based, etc.); experience in teaching/training; operational experience related to severe weather forecasting and warning; warning-related inputs such as radar, satellite, lightning, and storm-scale models; weather analysis software (such as AWIPS); graphic design or illustration; project management/teamwork; oral and written communication, including collaboration tools; human factors and human performance technology.
Normal working hours will be routinely observed with some occasional irregular hours around workshops and other potential activities. Incumbents will receive training and gain expertise in the latest training technology and warning decision-making methodologies.
Supervision will be provided by CIMMS staff. Technical oversight will be provided by CIMMS staff, NWS meteorologists, and WDTD management. The incumbent will work under general supervision but is expected to determine action to be taken in handling all but unusual situations. Incumbents in this position are not expected to supervise other employees but may serve as leaders of technical teams.
The beginning salary will be based on qualifications and experience with University benefits. Information on benefits may be found at http://www.hr.ou.edu. The position will be located in Norman, OK with an expected start date of July 2021.
To apply for the position, please forward your resume, cover letter and list of three references to:
University of Oklahoma CIMMS
120 David L. Boren Blvd., Suite 2100
Norman, OK 73072-7304
JOB REFERENCE: WDTD – AWIPS-2
The University of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
To apply for this job email your details to CIMMSemail@example.com