CIMMS Research Associate – Severe Convection Group: MRMS & Radar Applications & Data Science
The Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies (CIMMS) at the University of Oklahoma currently is seeking a research associate to collaborate with scientists in the National Severe Storms Laboratory’s (NSSL) Warning Research & Development Division on the development of radar-based data sets for use in the development and evaluation of algorithms for detecting and predicting severe convective storms and their associated hazards.
The duties of the position are:
- Development of large radar-based data sets, especially Multi-Radar Multi-Sensor (MRMS)-based
- Initial exploratory analysis of radar-based data sets and developing visualizations of summary
statistics for the data;
- Evaluation of new or existing algorithms, both radar- and satellite-based, that have applications
towards severe convection and associated hazards;
- Development of machine learning algorithms for severe convective hazards;
- Attend meetings and professional conferences to present research results and interact with
collaborators and users;
- Meet with collaborators and provide regular summaries of work accomplished;
- Review technical and professional publications and attend seminars to stay abreast of current
developments in meteorological and remote sensing science.
The minimum qualifications for the position are:
- Minimum Masters Degree in Meteorology or Computer Science or Data Science and Analytics or
related areas; preference is for Masters in Meteorology with, at minimum, a certification related to
data science, or degree (Bachelors/Masters) mixture of related areas;
- Demonstrated experience with statistical software programming (such as R or similar packages in
Python) and/or machine learning programming (such as scikit-learn or Tensorflow, or similar
packages within R), with at least one-year experience;
- Skills related to the interpretation of radar data;
- Interest in investigating severe convective storms using big data and data science;
- Ability to communicate scientific research through conference presentations, formal publications,
and technical documents;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team that includes co-supervision of
undergraduate and graduate research assistants.
Applicants should identify expertise with any of the following areas: Weather Radar Data and Principles; Lightning Data and Principles; Remote Sensing and Satellite Data and Principles; Severe Local Storms; Statistics; Data Science; Machine Learning. Strong oral and written communication skills are needed for the position, including the ability to collaborate on proposals and reports. Please indicate experience with Linux (or UNIX) operating systems and programming skills, especially experience with supercomputing and/or cloud environments, use of radar data, or other meteorological data, beyond simple display, and experience with statistical and machine learning software.
Normal working hours will be observed except for occasional irregular hours during data collection, warning/forecast experiments or workshops conducted at remote sites. Incumbents will receive training and gain expertise in the latest radar and other remote sensing technology and warning decision-making.
Supervision will be provided by CIMMS staff. Technical oversight will be provided by CIMMS staff, NSSL scientists, and NSSL management. Works under general supervision but is expected to determine action to be taken in handling all but unusual situations. Incumbents in this position are not expected to supervise other employees but may serve as leaders of technical teams and supervise students.
The beginning salary will be based on qualifications and experience with University benefits. Information on benefits may be found at https://hr.ou.edu/. The position is expected to begin August 2021.
To apply for the position, please forward your resume, cover letter and list of three references to:
University of Oklahoma CIMMS
120 David L. Boren Blvd., Suite 2100
Norman, OK 73072-7304
CIMMS-Careers@ou.edu ATTN: SCG Radar Data Science
The University of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
To apply for this job email your details to CIMMS-Careers@ou.edu