CIMMS Research Associate
CIMMS Research Associate – Transportation-Related Warnings
The Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies (CIMMS) at The University of Oklahoma (OU) seeks to fill a Research Associate position for its collaborative research with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL) at the National Weather Center (NWC) in Norman, Oklahoma. This position will start in Fall 2019 to develop impacts-based decision support tools as a part of the Transportation Applications Team. This team works collaboratively with the National Weather Service (NWS) and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to develop the next generation of products and tools for use within operations, with particular focus on decision support for transportation-related warnings/advisories (e.g., blizzards, aircraft hail encounters, icing, etc). This position is located in Norman, Oklahoma.
The duties of this position will be to:
- Work collaboratively with the NWS and FAA to develop decision-support tools for use in operations
- Assist with quality control and evaluation of observations within the Multi-Radar/Multi- Sensor (MRMS) system (http://mrms.nssl.noaa.gov)
- Publicly disseminate results via formal publications and professional conferences
- Keep abreast of new science in emerging journal articles and at conferences/workshops
The minimum qualifications for the position are:
- A Master’s Degree in Meteorology, Geography, Civil Engineering, or another related area
- Experience with computer programming and interest in further development of these skills
(most of our products are written in C++, Python, or Fortran)
- Experience with visualization of meteorological datasets
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Expertise with any of the above skills is not required, but a willingness to tackle new science, the ability to quickly learn new computer-programming skills, and independence in decision making are critical for success in this position. Applicants whose cover letters speak to these things in the context of their previous research experience(s) will be given the strongest consideration.
Supervision will be provided by CIMMS staff. The incumbent is not expected to supervise other employees, but may eventually serve as a science/technical lead and/or supervise students. The beginning salary will be based on qualifications and experience. Standard retirement/health care benefits are included (more information may be found at http://www.hr.ou.edu). The incumbent would ideally start in early Fall 2019, but the starting date is negotiable.
To apply for the position, please forward your resume, cover letter and list of three references to: Tracy Reinke, Executive Director, Finance and Operations
University of Oklahoma CIMMS
120 David L. Boren Blvd., Suite 2100
Norman, OK 73072-7304
ATTN: Transportation Applications