The Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies (CIMMS)
The Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies (CIMMS) seeks to fill a Research Associate position for its collaborative research with scientists in the National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL) in Norman, Oklahoma. The incumbent will contribute to NSSL’s Multi-Radar Multi-Sensor (MRMS) project (http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/projects/mrms/).
NSSL in collaboration with CIMMS has developed an operational Multi-Radar Multi-Sensor (MRMS) system that assimilates radar, rain gauge, lightning, satellite and atmospheric environmental data and generates 1-km and 2-min resolution severe weather and quantitative precipitation estimation (QPE) products. The high-resolution precipitation products are critical for flood/flash flood warnings and for water resource management.
The principal duties of this position are:
- Maintain and enhance the current radar-based QPE product suite in the MRMS system
- Develop a dual-polarization radar based winter QPE
- Participate in a long-term re-analysis of high-resolution MRMS QPE products.
- Attend meetings and professional conferences to present research results and contribute to technical documents and scientific
The minimum qualifications for the position are:
- A MS in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science, Physics, Computer Science or related
- Emphasis will be placed on applicants with scientific programming experience on UNIX/Linux using a high-level language (e.g. C++, Java, Python) and/or applicants with some experience with machine
Applicants should identify experience with analysis and interpretation of weather radar and model data. Excellent oral and written communication skills are highly desired.
Supervision will be provided by CIMMS staff. Technical oversight will be provided by NSSL Federal staff and management. This is a non-supervisory position, although the incumbent may serve as a leader of technical teams.
The beginning salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications with University of Oklahoma benefits. Information on benefits may be found at https://hr.ou.edu/Employees/New- Employees-at-OU/OU-Benefits-Overview.
To apply for the position, please forward your resume, cover letter and list of three references to:
Executive Director, Finance and Operations University of Oklahoma CIMMS
120 David L. Boren Blvd., Suite 2100 Norman, OK 73072-7304
ATTN: MRMS Research Associate
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org