Battelle manages and operates the National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON) project, which is solely funded by the National Science Foundation. A 30+ year project dedicated to understanding how changes in climate, land use and invasive species impact ecology, the observatory’s scientists and engineers are collecting a comprehensive range of ecological data on a continental scale across 20 eco-climatic domains representing US ecosystems. Our teams use cutting-edge technology, including an airborne observation platform that captures images of regional landscapes and vegetation; mobile, relocatable, and fixed data collection sites with automated ground sensors to monitor soil and atmosphere; and trained field crews who observe and sample populations of diverse organisms and collect soil and water data. Once structures are completed, a leading edge cyberinfrastructure will calibrate, store and publish this information. The Observatory includes more than 500+ personnel and is the first of its kind designed to detect and enable forecasting of ecological change at continental scales.
Battelle is seeking a Field Ecologist I – Instrumentation. There is one opening in Boulder, CO, and one opening in Fairbanks, AK.
Field Ecologists reports to the Field Operations Manager.
- Field Ecologist I– The Field Ecologist I is a biological sampling lead performing seasonal and periodic sampling activities and sample processing. Seasonal field sampling is conducted with the assistance of temporary field crews under the guidance of the Field Ecologist.
Instrumentation (tower) emphasis:
- Test, troubleshoot and operate instruments, calibration equipment and test fixtures.
- Inspect and maintain civil infrastructure including boom arms, sensor mounts, towers, boardwalks and instrument huts.
- Record activities, completed work and trouble tickets according to Field Operations protocol.
REQUIRED: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
The NEON Project will be selecting a Field Ecologist I. Equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Field Ecologist I
o Bachelor’s degree in ecology, environmental sciences or related scientific discipline.
o One (1) or more years’ of related experience.
All Field Ecologist Levels:
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience should include performing scientific data entry and data management.
- Ability to hike off-trail to assigned field site for long distances carrying field equipment (pack weighing up to 40 lbs.) for extended periods.
- Ability and willingness to travel overnight frequently (e.g. semi-monthly for 3-4 nights).
Must have permanent authorization for US employment.
Employment is contingent on background screen, drug screen, motor vehicle records check and physical.
Must possess a current and valid State issued driver’s license with insurable Department of Motor vehicle record (parking violations, minor driving offenses excluded) as determined by Battelle’s insurance provider.
Apply here for the Field Ecologist I in Boulder, CO:https://performancemanager8.successfactors.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=66411&company=battelle&username=
Apply here for the Field Ecologist I in Fairbanks, AK:https://performancemanager8.successfactors.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=66406&company=battelle&username=
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
To apply for this job please visit performancemanager8.successfactors.com.