Four Postdoc Scientist Positions at PNNL
As part of the Water Cycle and Climate Extremes Modeling <https://climatemodeling.science.energy.gov/projects/water-cycle-and-climate-extremes-modeling> scientific focus area, research is being undertaken to advance predictive understanding of water cycle processes and their subseasonal-to-multidecadal variations and changesusing models, observations, and novel numerical experiments and analysis methods.
PNNL is recruiting four postdoctoral scientists to perform research on a range of topics:
* Develop and apply theories, diagnostic frameworks, and hierarchical modeling to advance understanding of the monsoon circulation and its response to future perturbations to build confidence in the projections of hydrological changes at regional scales.
* Perform analysis of mesoscale convective systems (MCSs) using a combination of remote sensing and in-situ data, reanalysis data, and model simulations to characterize MCSs and their large-scale environment in the tropics and extratropics.
* Improve understanding of processes that influence the variations in the propagation characteristics of the Madden-Julian Oscillation events and on tropical cyclone activity and the relationships between them.
* Climate modeling at a range of scales to improve model performance and design and conduct numerical experiments for testing hypotheses regarding water cycle variability and change.
The selected candidate will work with a team of scientists to address science questions broadly related to precipitation and extreme events, convection, interactions between convection and large-scale circulation, and monsoon and other tropical circulations.
The position is for two years and renewable contingent upon performance. The successful candidates should have a Ph.D. degree in atmospheric science, geophysical fluid dynamics, climate modeling, or related fields. Experiences in numerical modeling using global and/or regional models and ability to analyze model outputs and observations using modern computational and statistical tools will be considered as key qualifications during the evaluation. To apply
<https://pnnl.jobs/richland-wa/post-doctorate-ra-water-cycle-variability-and-change/AE236F5EBC5A4EE5958E1FF67ED67B9F/job/>, please include the following in a single document:
* Cover letter describing the applicant’s research experience and interests.
* Curriculum vitae with a list of publications in refereed journals.
* Names and addresses of three references.
To apply for this job please visit pnnl.jobs.