Internship – Emergency Management
The Canadian County, OK Department of Emergency Management Internship Program provides students with a unique opportunity to apply classroom skills and theory to real life work situations. This hands-on program is designed to strengthen fundamental emergency management concepts and develop the confidence and skills of the next generation to prepare them for future employment opportunities. As an intern, participants are expected to employ their skills and abilities to contribute to the objectives of the emergency management program. Our internships provide exposure to industry professionals and promotes career development. To support that endeavor, interns will be assigned projects based on interests and specific project availability.
Participants can obtain valuable in-depth experience in emergency management and other related fields. In addition, interns will:
• Work with experienced professionals in the field of emergency management and public safety
• Contribute to innovative projects
• Get relevant experience for resume building
• Develop project presentation skills
• Obtain a greater understanding of career possibilities and areas of interest
• Gain marketability for employment opportunities after graduation
Some examples of projects interns can work on:
• Attend training and education programs
• Write, coordinate, and facilitate exercises/training materials
• Assist emergency personnel in responding to emergencies and disasters throughout the county
• Develop and coordinate planning activities for the Canadian County Government Offices
• Review emergency plans, policies and procedures
• Understanding of homeland security and emergency management principles through real life experience
• Participate in and provide input on regional response plans and committees
• Work with mitigation specialists to develop project list for vulnerable properties
• Assist the Office of Emergency Management with building relationship between private and public partnerships
The Internship Program runs throughout the summer months of June 1, 2021 – August 1, 2021. The internship is scheduled for 40 hours/week in length so the student can gain enough experience in the emergency management field to benefit him/her in the workplace. Intern responsibilities and tasks vary by location and can include conducting research, plan development/review, attending meetings, training and exercise development, grant administration and more. Students will work with the Emergency Management Director for guidance and support. The Department of Emergency Management Internship Program is a paid program.
To apply, applicants must either be a recent high school graduate or be enrolled in an accredited college or university undergraduate or graduate program or have plans to pursue a degree in emergency management or a related field.
For consideration, the following documents are required to be submitted to Human Resources at: HR@canadiancounty.org
- County Application for Employment Form
- Cover Letter
- Three (3) Professional References
Canadian County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job please visit canadiancounty.org.