Jr. Data Analyst – Marcus Weather, Inc.
Marcus Weather is a leading commodity weather consulting company based in Passaic, NJ that provides hedge funds and food processors objective analysis and expert interpretation of the weathers impact on agricultural and energy commodities. We answer global weather intelligence questions and provide specialized analysis to agricultural and trading firms impacted by the state of the atmosphere.
The junior data analyst (Weather/Commodity) for Marcus Weather will have working knowledge of global weather and climate forcing patterns and a strong interest in the application of weather to crop production and energy demand forecasting for the commodity markets.
Training/Responsibilities (Year one):
- Develop general working knowledge of relationship between weather and crop yield and energy demand, and the application of data – past, present, and forecast is utilized to assess said relationship
- Update, maintain and process daily modeling updates as requested and assist in the building of new statistical models when relevant. Oversee modeling automation and correct errors if necessary. Update and maintain modeling-based applications as directed
- Assist in preparing daily client reports, updating images, graphics, maps and modify relevant commentary related to updated client material. Attend and assist in preparing presentation materials for client meetings
- Monitor all daily automated updates: including database updates, auto-mapping updates, model automation and backups, weather alerts systems and additional client-based products
- Complete ad hoc data and mapping requests from specified data sources and assist in the preparation of client requested mapping automation
- Assist in data processing, cleaning, and testing new sources, including station and satellite imagery.
- Contribute to the identification and acquisition of new data sources relevant to weather and commodities. Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets using statistical methods
- Attend occasional industry meetings with a commodity weather risk focus (mainly U.S., but possibly foreign travel) and attend an annual Midwest crop tour in August
- Locate and define new work flow process improvement opportunities and contribute to success of Marcus Weather.
- Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology/Agronomy and related sectors required (Masters a plus)
- Background and coursework in weather risk analysis for the commodities sector
- Strong coding skills in R, and Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing, cleaning, and processing datasets. (Python knowledge a plus)
- Geographic information systems and spatial interpretation skills in R, ArcGIS/QGIS.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Passion for learning more about interpretation of weather impacts on crop production and energy demand
- Interest in learning how to articulate and be comfortable explaining complex scientific ideas to non-scientists, Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings
- Interest in business development
- This position is Work from Home
- This position requires an early start (~5am US eastern) and 2(ish) hours work on Sundays (am)
- Medical and Dental coverage or stipend to reimburse for basic individual plans in 2021, if needed
- 401K with potential for matching up to 3% (after 2 years)
- Paid Vacation/Sick Leave (10 working days, plus major holidays)
- Flexible working hours (especially outside of the summer period)
- Work from home
Please email Resume, cover letter (brief, < 1 page) and transcripts to email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org