- Job ID: 71022447
- Job Family: Operations Support
- Location: Rosemead, CA US
ENERGY FOR WHAT’S AHEAD
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We’re working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
This position will support the Weather Services group within Business Resiliency. The position will be responsible for blue sky operational support for the Situational Awareness Center and incident operational support when Emergency Operating Center is activated for gray and black sky conditions.
You will also be responsible for developing tools and models to aid in forecasting accuracy and fidelity. Additionally, the position will also be responsible for operational forecasting support for the procurement of energy within the Energy Procurement and Management organization
- Develops and implements procedures to monitor, analyze and produce short, medium and long-range weather forecasts and reports for situational awareness from the Situational Awareness Center (SA-Center). This could be during day-to-day operation and leading up to and during times of Incident Management Team Activations.
- Works closely with the Watch Office to inform reports to executives and send alerts about extreme weather to grid operations and other affected organizations across the company
- Project manager for complex projects – specifically, projects aimed at the mitigation of asset failure due to weather, fires and climate impacts.
- Leads projects with multiple work streams or complex tasks and provides direction to more junior staff in development and execution of situational awareness tools, fire prevention and monitoring, hazard modelling, and climate adaptation efforts etc.
- Ensures timely development of products needed to support the SA-Center, Business Resiliency and Operations. Reviews work product and mentors more junior team members.
- Supports the Energy Procurement and Management (EPM) organization through the operation, testing, and maintenance of quantitative forecasting, modeling and analysis tools, to produce data to support power procurement transactions, hedging, position management, regulatory reporting, bidding and resource optimization in energy markets.
- Reviews and provides guidance on the work of more junior staff.
- Maintains proficiency in and influences company operations through weather monitoring, forecasting and reporting.
- Works with the lead Meteorologist to identify requirements and opportunities for the team to work and train in the field with key stakeholders to maintain proficient knowledge of company operations.
- Works and trains with people in the field and key stakeholders from multiple organizations across the company to understand and learn about equipment, assets and business functions across the territory.
- Use knowledge to develop tools aimed at improving operational support.
- Routinely interacts with T&D Grid Operations, field operations and Fire Management personnel to gain and maintain knowledge of grid systems and develop relationships with field personnel and external stakeholders;
- Provides subject matter expertise and consults on projects across the company and internal to Business Resiliency.
- Develops relationships and key partnerships with meteorology, scientific and technology communities to align and continuously improve in-house weather forecasting skills, statistical weather forecasting models and information and tools need to support operations.
- Continuously improves in-house weather forecasting skills and statistical weather forecasting models; Works with vendors on improving their weather forecasting services;
- Completes own work independently;
- Works with the scientific community to maintain up to date expertise on state of the art modeling and empirical weather related monitoring technologies.
- Maintains proficiency in the use of all existing weather related technical tools and explores and implements new technical solutions used at SCE.
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in meteorology, atmospheric sciences or a related technical area of study.
- Seven years of experience in weather forecasting and analysis
- Experience communicating how extreme weather events effect the environment.
- Graduate degree in meteorology, atmospheric sciences or a related technical discipline
- Ten years of academic or work experience in weather forecasting and statistical analysis.
- Experience integrating various weather outlooks and briefing users on uncertainties and impacts.
- Experience forecasting one to seven-day ahead surface temperature and forecasting weather utilizing a wide variety of observational and model data, both at surface and upper air.
- Experience analyzing renewable power production (wind, solar, hydro) and how weather impacts those resources.
- Extensive knowledge of NWS system and demonstrated experience using National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) products.
- Ability and experience with configuring and running WRF model.
- Experience performing statistical analysis and modeling.
- Experience using SAS, R, or other tools for statistical analysis and forecasting.
- Weather forecasting experience for California and the Western United States.
- Experience forecasting for conditions pertaining to or around wildfires.
- Experience with long-term (month ahead or more) weather forecasting.
- Electric/Gas Utility work experience.
- A broad understanding of power markets and the related regulatory requirements that govern SCE’s participation in them by assisting strategy development to increase the value of SCE resources and lower customer costs.
- Fire weather forecasting experience.
- Experience preparing findings and presenting complex technical information to technical and nontechnical audiences.
- Experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
- Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
- The primary work location for this position is Irwindale, CA; however, the successful candidate may also be asked to visit the Rosemead offices occasionally
- Relocation may apply to this position
Southern California Edison, an Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, serves a population of approximately 15 million via 5 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California. Join the utility leader that is safely delivering reliable, affordable electricity to our customers for over 125 years.
SCE is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status. *LI-JS1
To apply for this job please visit adtrk.tw.