NOA1811 Support Scientist Meteorological Developer IMSG/NOAA/NCEP
I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG) / Systems Research Group (SRG) are seeking a candidate to fill a full-time position as a meteorological developer at the Weather Prediction Center (WPC) within the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP). The new hire will work with colleagues to develop and implement verification methods to gauge the effectiveness of new forecast tools and methodologies applied to operational and experimental forecasts. The candidate will work with colleagues to provide scientific enhancements to existing forecast methods, as well as develop new and improved approaches. Improvements will be transitioned to operations, and the candidate will provide training materials on their use in the forecast process. Areas of particular need and interest to be addressed include the forecasting and verification of heavy precipitation associated with land-falling tropical cyclones, warm-season convection, winter storms, and atmospheric rivers. Additional areas of focus will include the use of ensemble model output and forecaster generation of probabilistic products, as well as exploring future roles of weather forecasters.
Specific activities may include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with meteorologists at NCEP to establish verification methods for current short-to-medium range forecasts.
- Collaborate with meteorologists at other NCEP centers, NWS weather forecast offices, NOAA research facilities, academia, and the NWS Science and Operations Officer community to enhance current forecast methods and to develop new forecast tools at short-to-medium range time scales.
- Collaborate with colleagues within WPC and elsewhere within NOAA on the transition of research performed at WPC into operations at WPC and at other NOAA offices.
- Develop training materials to transition new tools and techniques into forecast operations.
- Work with WPC staff to publish results in peer-reviewed journals.
- Assist, as needed, in planning and execution of pseudo-operational summer and winter experiments as well as the Day 8-10 forecast experiment.
- S. or Ph.D. in meteorology, hydrology, or a related Earth science.
- Extensive knowledge of short-to-medium range weather forecasting.
- Excellent knowledge of statistical methods in atmospheric sciences along with strong analytical skills
- Excellent programing skills in a Linux/Unix environment with some familiarity with Python.
- Experience working in a fast-paced team environment, good oral and written communication skills, with proficiency in English.
- The desire and ability to learn and develop scientific capability.
- Ability to obtain all necessary security clearances. Must be a permanent resident or US citizen.
- Familiarity with the Model Evaluation Tools (MET) verification package developed by the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) Developmental Testbed Center (DTC).
- Experience working with GIS tools and applications.
- Demonstrated skill in publishing results in peer-reviewed journals.
Please apply directly to our career portal: https://careers-imsg.icims.com (NOA1811 Support Scientist-Meteorological Developer. Be sure to include your resume and cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position. Please indicate your timeline of availability and preferred salary level for consideration.
IMSG offers an outstanding overall Benefit Package including company paid leave, medical, dental, vision, and 401K.
IMSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Veteran Friendly.
To apply for this job please visit careers-imsg.icims.com.