NOA1812 Support Scientist – Ensemble Dispersion Prediction System IMSG/NOAA/NCEP
I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG) is seeking candidates to support the Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) on the development, testing, evaluation, and implementation of an ensemble dispersion prediction system. The candidate would be working within the Air Quality Modeling team (NCEP/EMC and NOAA/ARL) developing an ensemble-based NOAA HYSPLIT dispersion model capability to be applied for larger-scale volcanic ash applications and extended to smaller-scale chemical releases.
- Port the NOAA/ARL Dispersion Short-Range Ensemble Forecast (DSREF) HYSPLIT prediction system over to the NCEP operational environment, couple it to the NCEP High Resolution Ensemble Forecast (HREF) and the Global Ensemble Forecast System (GEFS), and produce ensemble-based probabilistic dispersion products.
- Evaluate the use of HREF for smaller-scale and the GEFS for larger-scale dispersion scenarios.
- Run sensitivity experiments to demonstrate that the new codes perform correctly followed by parameter tuning and optimization.
- Verify the resultant ensemble forecasts against dispersion field experiments and satellite data using existing NOAA probabilistic-forecast verification software (e.g. MET+).
- Transition the final ensemble-based dispersion system over to NCEP operations.
PhD, MS or relevant experience in Computer Science, Atmospheric Science, or other related physical or mathematical science.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in one or more of the following areas are required: 1) Atmospheric dispersion or air quality modeling; 2) atmospheric ensemble modeling; or 3) working with numerical environmental prediction codes on a super-computing platform. Preference will be given to candidates with a background in dispersion or atmospheric composition modeling.
- Experience with running complex jobs and processing large amounts of numerical output data on mainframe supercomputers and/or workstations in a FORTRAN/UNIX environment, as well as using advanced statistical analysis and display tools.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively in a team environment and communicate effectively using good oral and written communication skills.
- Desire and ability to learn and develop new scientific capabilities.
- Ability to obtain all necessary security clearances for access to NCEP operational computer systems (Permanent Resident status or US citizen is required).
Please apply directly to our career portal: https://careers-imsg.icims.com (NOA1812 Support Scientist-Ensemble Dispersion Prediction System. Be sure to include your resume and cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position. Please indicate your timeline of availability and preferred salary level for consideration.
IMSG offers an outstanding overall Benefit Package including company paid leave, medical, dental, vision, and
To apply for this job please visit careers-imsg.icims.com.