Numerical Weather Prediction Scientist
Radiant Solutions (www.radiantsolutions.com) has an opening for a NWP Scientist / Modeler that we hope some on this listserv may be interested in. The job requisition is posted here: https://digitalglobe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Radiant_Solutions_Careers/job/Gaithersburg/Numerical-Weather-Prediction-Scientist_R02949-1
For those unfamiliar with our group, the weather division within Radiant Solutions has formerly been called MDA Weather Services (~2005-2017) and EarthSat Weather (pre-2005). We’ve been in operation for 40+ years, and predominantly support customers in Energy, Agriculture, and Trading.
Radiant Solutions has an immediate opening for a Numerical Weather Prediction Scientist in our Gaithersburg, MD location. This position will serve an integral role in Radiant’s commercial business group as a part of a team of highly motivated and forward-thinking atmospheric and data scientists. The applicant will help build a next-generation high-performance weather data platform that serves numerous internal and external applications. If you have a passion for the atmospheric and geospatial sciences in addition to building and working with high-performance computing environments, then we have an exciting opportunity for you.
- 5+ years experience developing, refactoring, manipulating, and compiling global numerical weather prediction (NWP) modeling systems on various high-performance computing (HPC) platforms
- Well-developed understanding of scientific programming using Fortran, C/C++ and related parallelization via Message Passing Interface (MPI) such as MPICH and IMPI
- Adept scripting ability in various Linux shells such as bash, KSH, and CSH
- Knowledge of multi-/many-core computer architectures, compilers, and supporting libraries and their application in NWP
- Demonstrated ability running massively parallelized programs using processing workflows such as Rocoto and queue-based systems such as Sun Grid Engine or SLURM
- Familiarity in building, configuring, and maintaining HPC environments, including cloud-based HPC, for use with NWP applications
- Awareness of recent developments surrounding computer architecture and HPC
- Knowledge of manipulating multi-dimensional datasets in GRIB (1/2) or netCDF formats
- Familiarity of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and related services such as EC2, S3, EBS, and EFS
- Experience with programming in Python
- Experience creating graphics with GrADS and/or various Python data science libraries
- Exposure to commercial and open source GIS software/libraries including ESRI ArcGIS, Erdas Imagine, QGIS, GeoServer, and GDAL
- Familiarity with version control software (Git)
- Understanding of raster and vector data set creation
- Experience working with customers and strategic partners to understand their needs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Masters /PhD (preferred) in atmospheric or computational science
Periodic travel required to attend:
- Industry conferences
- Meetings with partners
- Meetings with customers
To be qualified you must be a US Citizen.
To apply for this job please visit digitalglobe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.