NWS Statistical Meteorologist
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado Boulder is seeking a Professional Research Assistant to provide scientific and meteorological expertise for the NOAA NWS/Weather Prediction Center (WPC) on the topic of statistical methods in atmospheric science. The position will be based at the WPC in College Park, MD, within the NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP). The NCWCP is a highly collaborative environment containing several NOAA organizations, including the Environmental Modeling Center (EMC), Ocean Prediction Center (OPC), and Climate Prediction Center (CPC). The incumbent will interact with WPC staff, NOAA scientists and forecasters, and externally funded researchers to develop and test new statistical methods for probabilistic forecast information among the tropics.
Who We Are
At CIRES, the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, more than 800 environmental scientists work to understand the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the planet. CIRES is a partnership of NOAA and the University of Colorado Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and climate, changes at the Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric chemistry, water resources, and solid Earth sciences. Our vision is to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by advancing scientific and societal understanding of the Earth system.
- Serve as a meteorologist with an emphasis in statistical methods. This position would focus on the following activities:
- Establish probabilistic density function (PDF) methods with the idea of providing enhanced probabilistic hazard information
- Test and Evaluate PDF methods
- Perform Model Validation
- Develop Statistical Downscaling
- Perform Statistical Post Processing of NWP Output
- As needed, contribute to formal scientific publications, and/or attending off-site conferences, symposia and workshops.
- As appropriate, develop synergy and shared accomplishments with the Weather Enterprise.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
What You Should Know
To apply for this job please visit jobs.colorado.edu.