Post Doctoral Scientist – Winter Weather
New York State Mesonet
The New York State Mesonet (NYSM) is a national leader in the collection of winter weather observations with regular measurements of snow depth, snow water equivalent, and precipitation, and derived estimates of freezing rain, snow accumulation, snow to liquid ratio, and precipitation type. The post-doctoral scientist will work closely with NYSM staff and National Weather Service personnel to evaluate and improve existing winter weather observations and analysis techniques and develop new products and visualization from these measurements, with the goal of improving situational awareness and monitoring capabilities. The scientist is expected to apply artificial intelligence, machine learning, and/or other statistical methods to develop value-added products and analyses from these core measurements and in combination with external observations and model output, and to develop new ways for communicating and visualizing these data to users. The post-doctoral position is a unique opportunity to create new winter weather products for ready integration into operations.
- 20% Evaluate existing measurements.
- 20% Improve current methods of measurement and analysis.
- 20% Create new, value-added winter weather products from data and model output.
- 20% Develop visualization for winter weather products for enhanced situational awareness.
- 20% Communication of research results through publications in peer-reviewed journals, meeting proceedings and presentations at scientific meetings.
- A Ph.D. Degree in Atmospheric Science, Meteorology, Environmental Science, or related field from a college or university accredited by the U.S. Department of Education or an international recognized accrediting organization (equivalent combination of education/related experience accepted) within the last three years.
- Strong visualization software skills (Matplotlib, D3, GIS, GrADS, IDV, NSL, Matlab, etc.)
- Experience with applied statistics, artificial intelligence (AI) and/or machine learning (ML).
- Ability to work independently, work together as a team, and to work with minimal supervision
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interest in winter weather.
- Strong interest in developing products for the operational community.
All job descriptions must be approved by Human Resources. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org