Postdoc Environmental Researcher
*Postdoctoral Researcher – urban dispersion modeling for hyper-local source apportionment*
The Environmental Fluid Mechanics and Hydrology group at UC Berkeley invites applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher to participate in a project funded by the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF). The expected starting date is October 1, 2019. The appointment is for one year with the possibility of an extension for up to 6 additional months, subject to satisfactory performance.
Our goal is to build on the previous work of the Principal Investigator and other researchers to develop, validate and make available to the community improved and more physically realistic models for urban air quality at the neighborhood scale. The WRF model will be employed for nested large-eddy simulations with various resolutions and various representations of buildings, including urban canopy models and building-resolving simulations. HYSPLIT will be used for forward and backward trajectory models at various grid resolutions.
In addition to a Ph.D. in a relevant atmospheric science or engineering field, candidates should possess the following skills and training or a demonstrated ability to fill in gaps in their background on the fly:
1. Strong computational fluid mechanics experience with demonstrated skills in code creation compatible with the WRF and HYSPLIT code structure and language.
2. Knowledge of/experience in large-eddy simulation, turbulence modeling, and atmospheric dispersion.
3. Strong public speaking and writing skills, demonstrated by a record of conference presentations and public seminars and creation of refereed conference or journal papers.
To apply, please click here to fill out the online form, and then send a follow-up email with these attachments in pdf format:
1. Cover letter describing research training and experience, interests and motivation to participate in this effort.
2. Curriculum vitae and names and contact information of three (3) references.
3. Copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
The review of applications will begin on August 21, 2019, and the position will remain open until filled. Salary depends on experience and the position includes benefits.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Professor Fotini Katopodes Chow (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, MC 1710
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-1710
(Full link to online form: https://forms.gle/fDRgxgE3TR8s4cZS7)
To apply for this job please visit docs.google.com.