Postdoctoral Scholar at UT Austin
The Climate Dynamics group led by Professor Kerry H. Cook in the Department of Geological Sciences at the University of Texas at Austin is seeking a Postdoctoral Scholar. The Postdoc will contribute to observational analysis and regional climate model simulation to better understand climate variations and change over Africa, and their impacts. Within that broad scope there is flexibility for the postdoc to develop their own project and research directions, but with attention to our group’s funding.
The appointment will be for one year, with the opportunity to extend to a second year subject to performance and availability of funding. The start date is somewhat flexible, after January 2021, and may begin remotely if necessary due to the ongoing pandemic.
• Recent Ph.D. in atmospheric sciences or a closely related field at the time of appointment
• Experience with advanced atmospheric analysis techniques and approaches
• Knowledge of and experience with numerical climate modeling
• Proficiency in at least one scientific programming language for modeling and data
analysis (e.g., Python, Fortran, C++)
• Experience using multi-processor computers
• Ability to perform independent research
• Ability to collaborate effectively
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with relevant experience.
To apply, please submit the following materials by email to Kerry H. Cook (<email@example.com>) with the subject line “Postdoc Application”:
• A cover letter outlining current research accomplishments and a statement of how your experience and professional goals relate to ongoing work in our group. Our publications are available at <https://www.jsg.utexas.edu/researcher/kerry_cook/>
• Names and contact information for three professional references.
The Climate Dynamics Group is committed to continuing our legacy of contributing to diversity in the geosciences through equal-opportunity hiring practices and professional activities.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org