Principal Solutions Architect – HPC Weather Modeling
Are you passionate about cloud computing and its potential to overcome some of the biggest challenges in High Performance Computing (HPC)? Do you have a unique combination of deep technical knowledge, business acumen and strong interpersonal skills? Do you enjoy tackling large analytical problems at massive scale? Amazon Web Services (AWS) is seeking an HPC-focused Solutions Architect with expertise in Weather Modeling to work with our customers worldwide to craft cloud-based solutions for weather-related applications.
As a trusted customer advocate, you will help organizations understand best practices around advanced cloud-based solutions, and how to migrate existing workloads to the cloud. You will have the opportunity to help shape and execute a strategy to build mind-share and broad use of AWS within enterprise customers. The ideal candidate must be self-motivated with a proven track record of customer obsession and delivering results. The ability to connect technology with measurable business value is critical to a solutions architect. You should also have a demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, products, and technical challenges in HPC.
Amazon aims to be the most customer centric company on earth. Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers critical applications for hundreds of thousands of businesses in 190 countries around the world.
· Design Customer Solutions Collaborate with the wider AWS teams to help customers and partners architect HPC Solutions that leverage AWS Services
· Engage with Solution Architects, Account Managers, Professional Services, and Partners to define an HPC Engagement strategy for AWS operational territories and key accounts, with emphasis on tightly-coupled workloads in large-scale HPC systems.
· Thought Leadership – Provide thought leadership on solutions that benefit customers through the use of AWS Services. This takes the form of contribution to external publications such as the AWS Compute Blog, whitepapers and reference architectures, as well as internal training of Solutions Architects, Professional Services Consultants, Technical Account Managers, and AWS Trainers
· Serve as a key member of the business development and accounting management team in helping to ensure customer success in building and migrating applications, software and services on the AWS platform.
· Assist solution providers with the definition and implementation of technical and business strategies.
· Capture and share best-practice knowledge amongst the worldwide AWS solution architect community
· Understand AWS market segments, and industry verticals.
· Understand and exploit the use of internal business support systems.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have twelve employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
· A Bachelors degree in computer science, engineering, physical or life sciences or related discipline
· 7+ experience with high performance computing systems in weather modeling codes such as WRF, GFS, NAM, GES, etc.
· 7+ years designing technology solutions for HPC applications
· Demonstrated expertise optimizing large-scale super computing systems
· An advanced degree (MS or PhD) in computer science, engineering, physical or life sciences or related discipline
· Expert user of weather modeling codes such as WRF, GFS, NAM, GES, etc along with data assimilation tools (e.g. Gridpoint Statistical Interpolation, GSI), post processors (e.g. Unified Post Processor, UPP), and verification tools (e.g. Model Evaluation Tools, MET)
· Working knowledge of HPC schedulers and distributed/parallel file systems, underlying IT systems, and the HPC development process, high throughput and tight coupling approaches
· Strong verbal and written communications skills are a must, as well as the ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations and virtual teams.
· An understanding of the cloud computing delivery model as it relates to HPC
· Knowledge of the underlying infrastructure requirements such as Networking, Storage, and Hardware Optimization.
· Experience in a customer-facing, sales-aligned role such as consultant, solutions engineer or solutions architect
· Understanding of application, server, and network security
· Track record of implementing AWS services in a variety of business environments such as large enterprises and start-ups.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
To apply for this job please visit www.amazon.jobs.