This is a career-track MS-level research associate position on our Transportation Applications Team at the Cooperative Institute for Severe and High-Impact Weather Research and Operations (CIWRO) at the University of Oklahoma in collaboration with NOAA’s National Severe Storms Laboratory.
This is an opening for someone with good general research skills who desires to perform applied research developing tools and knowledge for stakeholders in the NWS, FAA, and DOT. The ideal candidate is someone who wants to be part of a highly-collaborative team, is interested in developing decision-support tools for operations, is excited about publishing research in peer reviewed journals, and who enjoys computer programming.
The prospective employee will contribute to a range of different projects, attend conferences, and develop new professional skills. They will have the opportunity to collaborate directly with stakeholders in operations. The kinds of datasets they will have the opportunity to work with include NWP output, radar observations, surface observations, and more. This position will be based at the National Weather Center in Norman, OK (ou.edu/nwc).
- Support applied research of observations, models, and tools as they apply to the transportation sector and/or winter-weather forecasting
- Assist with the transition of decision-support products for winter weather and the transportation sector into operational systems at the NWS, FAA and DOT
- Engage the broader research community through public dissemination of research via conferences, workshops, and peer-reviewed journal articles
- Utilize computer programming (namely Python and C++) to advance research.
- An MS in meteorology (or a related field)
- Computer programming experience
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
The salary is based on experience and includes University benefits (http://hr.ou.edu/).
Other benefits include…
• Reduced membership at OU’s 80,000 sq. ft. fitness and aquatic center (https://www.ou.edu/far)
• Flexible work hours
• Generous personal leave
How to apply
Send a statement of interest, CV, and a list of three references to: CIMMS-Careers@ou.edu
Enter in subject line: ATTN: TRANSPORTATION
The start date is flexible, but the position is expected to be filled by 15 July 2022.
For more info about this position, please contact Dr. Heather Reeves (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The University of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer
To apply for this job email your details to CIMMS-Careers@ou.edu