Software Development Engineer
This role involves building software systems using latest AWS technologies that can help Amazon predict and manage the impact of weather on its business. As a result, it also involves dealing with and managing petabytes of data on daily basis that is shared among multiple Amazon teams.
A day in the life
You will work on building and enhancing software system that is aimed at ingesting, storing and providing weather forecasts vital for a range of businesses at Amazon. You will collaborate with data scientists, research scientists and other SDEs to deploy predictive models on a native AWS system and will build web services and web applications to share the weather forecasts efficiently with both business and technical teams. You will also explore other internal business data to identify scope of improvement in other systems in Operations.
About the hiring group
Our team is a mix of SDEs and Data Engineers and we build all our products from scratch on native AWS to solve business problems. Few of the systems that we invent and simplify include backend software and web apps to handle the impact of weather, simulation system to rethink Amazon order fulfillment and a brand new data infrastructure to generate map-based reports for key business metrics.
Are you interested in applying your technical and engineering skills to address world-changing problems? Are you interested in driving the development of methods, models and systems for state-of-the-art transportation and fulfillment systems? If so, then this is the job for you.
At Amazon we are responsible for developing an in-depth understanding of our current fulfillment network and designing our future networks. We are looking for motivated software development engineers to drive new systems to support fulfillment.
As a software development engineer, you will be responsible for design, development, testing, and deployment of a range of products in support of Supply Chain Execution. You will get a unique opportunity to build full-stack applications and web services that involve working with different AWS services including Cognito, Lambda, API Gateway, S3, Kinesis, EMR, Redshift, Dynamo, SNS, Athena, and QuickSight. You will make applications that leverage big data technology and machine learning to improve customer experience.
A successful candidate will have an established background in developing customer-facing experiences, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· BS in Computer Science or other relevant degree.
· 1-2 years of software development experience using object-oriented design and programming languages with one of the following: Java, C#, C/C++, Ruby, or Python.
· 1-2 years experience with SQL and big data: processing, filtering, and presenting large quantities (100K to Millions of rows) of data.
· Advanced degree in Computer Science or other relevant degree
· 3+ years’ experience with clustered data processing (e.g. Hadoop, Spark, Map-reduce, Hive)
· Strong knowledge of front-end technologies and frameworks like React JS and RESTful web services
· Ability to deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly.
· Strong knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
· Ability to ramp up quickly on new technologies and adopt solutions from within the company or from the Open Source community.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Comfortable in a fast-paced, start-up like development environment.
To apply for this job please visit www.amazon.jobs.