Support Scientist-Observational Processing NCEP/NOAA
I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG) is seeking candidates to support the Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) on improving the handling and use of all types of environmental data in the NCEP data assimilation systems. In particular, enhancements to the data handling and processing of observational data, quality control and database handling are needed to improve the use of the data. Multiple support positions to assist in the enhancement, testing, routine application and maintenance of these data are available. It is expected that up to three positions may be available, with two focused on atmospheric data and one for oceanographic data.
- Contribute to the design and execution of an improved system for the handling of observational data within NCEP. This requires interfaces with the current operational NCEP systems, the international exchange of observational data, and the Joint Center for Satellite Data Assimilation (JCSDA) data base development group.
- Ensure that the flow of observational data for current observations and new types of data for operational use continues uninterrupted.
- Assist in the maintenance of the historical data base of oceanographic and/or atmospheric observations.
Education and Experience
- D., M.S. or relevant experience in Computer Science, Atmospheric Science, or other related physical or mathematical science.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in two or more of the following areas is required: Atmospheric or oceanographic data assimilation, data base management, operational data handling for large data bases, experience in GRIB/BUFR formats, or optimization of complex scientific code in a parallel programming environment.
- Experience with running complex jobs, database software, netCDF, HDF and or GRIB/BUFR, and processing large amounts of observational data on mainframe supercomputers and/or workstations in a FORTRAN/C++/UNIX environment.
- Experience working in a team environment. Good written and oral communication skills are highly desirable.
- Ability to obtain all necessary security clearances for access to NCEP operational computer systems (permanent resident status or US citizen).
- The desire and ability to learn and to enhance the operational prediction system is essential.
Please apply directly to our career portal or website: www.imsg.com or https://careers-imsg.icims.com (NOA1774 Support Scientist-Observational Processing). Include your resume, three references with contact information and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position. Please indicate your timeline of availability and preferred salary level for consideration.
IMSG offers an outstanding overall Benefits Package including company paid leave, medical dental, vision, and 401K. IMSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Veteran Friendly.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.imsg.com or https://careers-imsg.icims.com →