Support Scientist-Satellite Data Assimilation NCEP/NOAA
I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG) is seeking candidates to support the Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) on continuing to improve the use of satellite radiance data in the NCEP atmospheric data assimilation systems. The candidate would be working within the Data Assimilation Team on particular enhancements to the specification of observation errors, channel selection, quality control and bias correction are needed to improve the use of the data. A support position to assist in the development, testing, routine application and maintenance of these satellite data is available.
- Contribute to the inclusion of additional channels from the hyperspectral IR instruments.
- Contribute to improved specification of observation errors for satellite radiance data (including correlated error).
- Contribute to the enhancement of the automated quality control for the satellite radiance data.
- Generally contribute to the improvement of the NCEP’s GSI analysis and assimilation system.
Education and Experience
- D. or M.S. in Atmospheric Science, or related physical or mathematical science.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in two or more of the following areas is required: Atmospheric data assimilation, satellite radiance measurement, radiative transfer, the GSI analysis system; or optimization of complex scientific code in a parallel programming environment.
- Experience with running complex jobs, and processing large amounts of numerical output data on mainframe supercomputers and/or workstations in a FORTRAN/UNIX environment, using advanced statistical and display tools.
- Experience working in a team environment. Good written and oral communication skills are highly desirable.
- The desire and ability to learn and develop scientific capability is essential.
- Ability to obtain all necessary security clearances for access to NCEP operational computer systems (requires permanent resident status or US citizen).
Please apply directly to our career portal or website: www.imsg.com or https://careers-imsg.icims.com (NOA1775- Support Scientist-Satellite Data Assimilation). Include your resume, three references with contact information and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position. Please indicate your timeline of availability and preferred salary level for consideration.
IMSG offers an outstanding overall Benefits Package including company paid leave, medical dental, vision, and 401K. IMSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Veteran Friendly.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.imsg.com or https://careers-imsg.icims.com →