Weather Decision Support Systems, International
Position: Contract Work for Weather Research and Forecast Model Projects
WDSS is seeking a contractor to work on a project-by-project basis providing maintenance, troubleshooting, upgrades, and training on established WRF systems that have been installed at international locations. The applicant is also expected to help as necessary to produce responses to Requests to Proposals involving WRF that may arise. The majority of this maintenance/upgrade work can be carried out through remote access to the systems. Applicants will be expected to occasionally travel to sites to provide on-site maintenance and training, but not likely for more than 3 weeks total in any 12- month period. Any necessary travel is very flexible around other commitments.
This is a W9 position with an hourly rate. Any necessary travel will be paid for by WDSS. It is expected on average this work will take less than 5 hrs/week, with more hours necessary during system upgrades, troubleshooting, deliveries, and necessary RFP response periods.
Training will be provided on existing WRF configurations.
- Understand, troubleshoot, and maintain operational WRF systems that are currently fielded at international locations
- Perform the role of technical lead on new projects involving WRF installations with the responsibility of helping design, develop, and deliver projects to international customers
- Travel internationally as required to perform on-site systems delivery, integration, training, and maintenance as necessary
The successful candidate will meet the following qualifications:
- S., Ph.D., or later-term Ph.D. candidate in meteorology
- Experience setting up WRF including compiling, library installation, etc
- Knowledge of ROCKS, SGE, and Ganglia for WRF cluster management
- Knowledge of WRFControl and setting up run domains
- Knowledge of WRF assimilation schemes
- Involvement in studies with WRF that have led to formal and/or informal publications
- Knowledge of High Performance Computing techniques related to running WRF
- Solid applicational programming experience in Linux environments using Python
- United States citizen or permanent US work visa
To apply, e-mail cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com