Jupiter is the global market leader in analytics for resilience planning and enterprise climate risk management, especially in financial services, industrial, the public sector, and NGOs.
Jupiter is led by pioneers in data, climate, and earth and ocean sciences, as well as technology, risk management, company building, and public policy. Our climate risk modeling solutions save lives and mitigate potentially catastrophic impacts inflicted by hurricanes, floods, heat waves, wildfires, drought, and other extreme weather events on homes, businesses, infrastructure, food and water supplies, and entire economies.
Bringing diversity to prepare a diverse planet for our changing climate
Jupiter was founded on the principle that with the right approaches and the right team, we can prepare Earth’s economies to meet the challenges associated with climate change. The world is a diverse place; a diverse workforce in an inclusive environment is essential to meet our goals. We go forward together.
We seek new colleagues—data scientists, physical scientists, software engineers, company builders, and more—who share our passion for excellence, innovation, and collaboration. Jupiter was founded on the principle that with the right approaches and the right team, we can prepare Earth’s economies to meet the challenges associated with climate change.
Job Purpose :
Jupiter is hiring a dynamic individual to join our climate modeling team. You will work with other physical scientists, data scientists, and software engineers to implement, interpret, and scale dynamic downscaling models of the atmosphere and hydrosphere. Model preparation, calibration, execution, and evaluation will be primary parts of your contributions to Jupiter’s mission. Innovations toward automation, cloud deployment, and open-source solutions will provide you the opportunity to think differently about modeling our Earth’s system
Minimum qualifications include:
- Ph.D. from an accredited university in a relevant science or engineering field, or a M.S. and equivalent experience
- Experience running regional weather models, and analyzing output
- Strong abilities in high-level (e.g. Python) programming language
- Familiarity working with lower-level (e.g. FORTRAN, C++) programming languages
- Working knowledge of weather extremes
- Basic knowledge of probability and statistics
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, and with other team members with different scientific and technical backgrounds
Additional desirable skills:
- Experience running global-scale climate or hydroclimate models
- Experience in working on one or more commercial cloud computing services
- Experience in parallel HPC environments
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify and optimize methods and models most suited to provide information to meet customer requirements for information to mitigate their exposure.
- Identify data sources for global and regional weather and climate models, and data sources for verifying those models
- Identify and evaluate methods for initializing prediction models, from weather to seasonal time scales
- Develop and test products derived from weather simulations
- Work with technical staff to successful execution of modeling chains in a DevOps environment
- Implement prototype modeling solutions
- Test and validate technical implementations and model output
- Implement and interpret metrics to measure skill in regional and local forecasts
- Prototype and evaluate methods for quantifying forecast uncertainty
- Qualitative interpretation of model performance
- Quantitative verification of model simulations
- Summarize model simulation quality for technical and non-technical audiences
- Prototype, test, and evaluate algorithms that provide weather and climate informationLink predictions to individual customer needs
Jupiter Intelligence is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
Successful candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Please submit your Cover Letter and Resume to us to see if there might be a great fit.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.