A mentor should support the mentee by making the mentor’s perspective and experiences available and accessible to the mentee. The purpose of the mentor-mentee relationship is to empower the mentee to identify their goals, develop effective strategies for achieving those goals, and identify and eliminate obstacles to success.
Higher Education and Employment Background:
- Adjunct Assistant Professor at OU since 2020
- Areas of research experience include Numerical Weather Prediction and Data Assimilation, Ensemble forecasting at convection-allowing resolution, Machine Learning techniques, Nocturnal convection, and Forecast verification.
- M.S (2011) and PhD (2014) in Meteorology, University of Oklahoma
- Post-doctoral researcher at OU through 2017
- Research Scientist at OU since 2017
- B.S. in Meteorology and Computer Science, Valparaiso University, 2009
Life Defining Moments in Meteorology and Higher Education:
- Participating in a Research Experience for Undergraduates program at Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland between Junior and Senior year sparked my enthusiasm for a career in research.
- Taking my grandfather’s advice to consider double-majoring in Computer Science turned out to be a decision that proved quite valuable to my graduate research career.
- An opportunity to take a 10-day storm chasing field study course at Valparaiso University allowed me to relate my classroom knowledge of atmospheric motions to phenomena that I could see and feel, furthering my passion for convective weather.
- A freshman physics professor who also taught meteorology used a lot of examples from meteorology in physics class which initially sparked my interest in majoring in meteorology.