To provide background, context, tips, tricks, “inside knowledge”, and anything else that could be helpful. To be an open-minded, kind person that students can come to when they have questions.
Higher Education and Employment Background:
- Research Scientist with the OU Center for Risk and Crisis Management, CIMMS, and NOAA/NWS Storm Prediction Center
- I research how people interact with weather information and use it to make decisions.
- Basically, I try to understand how our weather knowledge and forecasts can help people make decisions for themselves and their friends/family.
- PhD meteorology from OU
- MS meteorology from OU
- BS meteorology from Iowa State
Life Defining Moments in Meteorology and Higher Education:
- Helpful and kind mentors in my freshman year of college at ISU helped me decide meteorology was for me
- A summer internship at OU/NSSL helped me see that grad school was an option
- Flexible, supportive advisers and friends in grad school helped me shape my degrees/experience into something really unique that helped me land my dream job.
- This all boils down to *people* that defined my experiences thus far. I would like to be that person for someone else. A “pay it forward” kind of thing.