Students in the School of Meteorology are encouraged to pursue an internship. Internships cover a wide variety of experiences including broadcast meteorology, private sector companies, and summer research experiences. Internships provide students with the opportunity to gain professional experience in their field of study and may lead to an entry-level position within the business where the internship was performed. Although students are not required to seek credit for an internship, many internship employers require that students be enrolled in an internship class. Students may earn 1-3 hours of credit for an Internship. Internships may be completed at any time during the academic year and may be either paid or unpaid – either are eligible for
Please note: An internship through the School of Meteorology will not carry degree credit toward a BS in Meteorology unless the student obtains permission from the Director of the School of Meteorology for the internship to fulfill a specific degree requirement.
To receive academic credit through the School of Meteorology for an internship, a student must:
• Have a declared a major in Meteorology
• Have a minimum 2.0 OU and Retention GPA
• Submit an SoM Internship for Credit form to the undergraduate coordinator.
• Enroll a section of METR 3890 – typically that of the Associate Director for Undergraduates
who will act as the instructor.
• Satisfactorily complete the requirements set forth by the instructor of the course in the time
Please note in order to receive a grade and credit for your internship:
• You are required to e-mail your internship instructor brief weekly reports to document your
progress in the internship.
• At the end of the internship, you must submit a report (length to be discussed with
instructor based on credits taken) to your internship instructor that includes:
o The nature and scope of the work you performed
o What you learned and how it relates to your education at OU
o How the internship experience has affected your career plans
• Your instructor will also request that your internship supervisor provides a written evaluation of your job performance at the completion of the internship.
The School is working to build a database of past internships that have been open to, or held by, OU Meteorology students. That information will be found on this page as soon as it is available.