CIMMS Research Associate
CIMMS Research Associate – Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems
The Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies (CIMMS) seeks a research associate to assist in a new project that aims to transition small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS) into operations within NOAA. This position will be located at the NOAA/Air Resources Laboratory (ARL) Atmospheric Turbulence and Diffusion Division (ATDD) in Oak Ridge, TN. The associate will play a vital role in operating the sUAS, as well as acquiring and processing the data collected by the sUAS. The most critical task will be performing daily flights at a nearby site using ATDD’s vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) and fixed-wing sUAS to sample boundary layer temperature, moisture, and wind fields. These datasets will be provided to the nearest National Weather Service office to assist with short-term weather forecasts. Additionally, the associate will operate ATDD’s other fixed-wing sUAS used for obtaining in-situ meteorological and flux measurements, as well as spectral characteristics of the land surface. Following data collection, the research associate will lead efforts to process the data for further analysis. This work will provide opportunities for the associate to author research papers.
1) Operate the sUAS on a daily basis at weather-dependent times.
2) Download and process data collected for expedited transmission to the local National Weather
Service forecast office.
3) Participate in further analysis of the data, and preparation of scientific research papers.
1) United States citizen or permanent resident;
2) A B.S. degree or higher in aerospace engineering, meteorology, computer science, or a closely-
3) At least three years’ experience with piloting sUAS and flight planning is desirable;
4) Expertise in one or more programming languages (IDL, C, Python, FORTRAN, etc.) is also
5) CIMMS seeks candidates that are creative, have an ability to work independently, and have good
6) The ability to travel to field study sites will also be required.
The salary will be based on qualifications and experience with benefits provided through the University of Oklahoma (https://hr.ou.edu/).
To apply for the position, please send your CV, cover letter, and list of three references to: Tracy Reinke
Executive Director, Finance and Operations University of Oklahoma CIMMS
120 David L. Boren Blvd., Suite 2100 Norman, OK 73072-7304 firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Requisition: ATDD Research Associate
The University of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.