CIMMS Research Associate – NWS Employee Development Training
The Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies (CIMMS) at The University of Oklahoma currently is seeking a research associate to collaborate with scientists in the National Weather Service Office of the Chief Learning Officer (NWS OCLO), specifically the Decision Support & Communication Services and Leadership Academy divisions, on the advancement of Impact-Based Decision Support Services and employee development training for NWS employees. The position is located in Kansas City, MO.
The duties of this position are:
1. Develop expertise in meteorological forecasting and the delivery of impact-based decision support services (IDSS).
2. Participate in NWS designed simulations to study the effectiveness of newly developed applications and improve field use.
3. Attend meetings and professional conferences to understand new meteorological and hydrological applications and interact with the operational community.
4. Perform related duties as assigned to support the development and delivery of training for IDSS.
5. Perform related duties as assigned to support the development and delivery of employee development training for scientists.
The minimum qualifications for the position are:
1. A Master’s Degree in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science or related area;
2. Or a Bachelor’s Degree in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science or related area and at least three years’ experience in operational meteorology, operational hydrology or applied research;
3. Emphasis will be placed on applicants with experience in forecast operations, operational forecast systems, and adult education;
4. U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
Applicants should identify expertise with any of the following areas: operational forecasting, providing decision-support information, and adult education. Good oral and written communication skills are needed for the position. Please indicate experience with National Weather Service systems and commercial software applications specifically PowerPoint, Dreamweaver, Articulate, and graphic design programs.
Normal working hours will be observed except for occasional irregular hours during residence courses or workshops conducted at remote sites.
General supervision will be provided by the CIMMS leadership. Technical oversight will be provided by CIMMS staff, NWS OCLO instructors, and NWS OCLO management. Appointee will work under general supervision but is expected to determine action to be taken in handling all but unusual situations. Incumbent in this position is not expected to supervise other employees but may serve as a leader of technical teams.
The beginning salary will be based on qualifications and experience with University benefits. Information on benefits may be found at https://www.hr.ou.edu. The position is expected to begin August 2020.
To apply for the position, please forward your resume, cover letter and list of three references to:
University of Oklahoma CIMMS
120 David L. Boren Blvd., Suite 2100
Norman, OK 73072-7304
Job Requisition – IDSS
The University of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
To apply for this job email your details to CIMMSemail@example.com