CIMMS Research Associate – Weather Event Training
The Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies (CIMMS) at The University of Oklahoma is currently seeking a Research Associate to collaborate with scientists, instructors and developers at the National Weather Service (NWS) Warning Decision Training Division (WDTD) in Norman, OK, in creating weather event training simulations for the United States Air Force (USAF) and NWS forecasters.
The duties of this position are:
1) Develop technical expertise with the AWIPS-2 (Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System) software.
2) Modify AWIPS configurations to mimic weather displays used by USAF weather forecasters.
3) Create a library of training simulations on particular weather events to be used by both USAF and NWS forecasters.
4) Adapt the Weather Event Simulator software for potential use on the NWS operational hardware and software platforms.
5) Acquire skills in operation of Linux and Windows workstations and virtual machines.
6) Participate in experimental warning/forecast exercises and WDTD training workshops.
7) Review technical/professional publications and attend seminars to stay abreast of current developments in meteorological software applications.
8) Perform related duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications for the position are:
1) A Master’s Degree in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science, or related area; or
2) A Bachelor’s Degree in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science, or related area and at least three years fulltime related experience.
Emphasis will be placed on applicants with severe weather or AWIPS experience.
Applicants should identify expertise within any of the following areas: experience in teaching/training, operational experience related to weather forecasting and warning techniques; warning-related inputs such as radar, satellite, lightning, models; use and/or configuration of weather analysis software (such as AWIPS); graphic design or illustration; project management/teamwork; oral and written communication, including collaboration tools; Linux operating systems, shell scripting or software/hardware support.
Normal working hours will be observed except for occasional irregular hours during data collection, warning/forecast experiments, or workshops conducted at remote sites. Incumbents will receive training and gain expertise in the latest training technology and warning decision-making methodologies.
Supervision will be provided by CIMMS staff. Technical oversight will be provided by CIMMS staff, NWS meteorologists, and WDTD management. The incumbent will work under general supervision but is expected to determine action to be taken in handling all but unusual situations. Incumbents in this position are not expected to supervise other employees, but may serve as leaders of technical teams.
The beginning salary will be based on qualifications and experience with full benefits (insurance and retirement) and a generous leave policy provided through The University of Oklahoma (https://hr.ou.edu/). The start date for the position is negotiable.
To apply for the position, please forward your resume, cover letter and list of three references to:
University of Oklahoma
120 David L. Boren Blvd., Suite 2100
Norman, OK 73072-7304
JOB REFERENCE: WDTD-USAF
The University of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
To apply for this job email your details to CIMMSemail@example.com