AST has a Full-Time opening for a meteorologist at the Reagan Missile Defense Test Site (RTS) in the Republic of the Marshall Islands in the central tropical Pacific. This position focuses on operational weather forecasting and observation requires relocation to Kwajalein Island and rotating shift work, including weekends and holidays. All candidates must be in good physical condition such as to not require routine, extensive medical treatment. Kwajalein Island is considered a remote location, with somewhat limited medical and dental facilities, much like any Small Town USA, but located in the Pacific.
The usual, small-town mix of retail and recreation exists on Kwajalein. This includes stores, theaters, a library, a bowling alley, a snack bar, and a bar. In addition, the island is equipped to take full advantage of golfing, biking, organized softball, and soccer leagues, and superb fishing, diving, sailing, and boating opportunities of the near-equatorial ocean. The island boasts a yacht club, fishing club, diving club, running club, and rental outlet for boats and equipment. Island population numbers around 1200; these are divided near equally between single and family individuals. Kwajalein is considered overseas employment by the IRS, and those employed there receive significant tax benefits. Meals and housing is provided to all single-status employees.
Required Experience and Skills:
- MS in Meteorology or closely related major or a BS in meteorology with two years of forecasting experience
- Must be U.S. citizen
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required
- Must be able to obtain a secret security clearance
- Must be in good physical condition
Desired Experience and Skills:
- Experience in Doppler or dual-polarized weather radar or satellite interpretation is highly desired
- Familiarity with Linux and PCs is highly desired
- Computer programming experience is desired
- Possession of a security clearance is highly desired
- Cloud Physics experience is a plus
- Sitting- Frequent 2.5 to 5.5 hours per shift
- Stand- Frequent 2.5 to 5.5 hours per shift
- Lift/Carry- Frequently 0-20 lbs, Occasionally 20-100 lbs
- Walk- Frequently 2.5 to 5.5 hours per shift
- Drive- Never
- Reach Above- Frequently 2.5 to 5.5 hours per shift
- Bend/Stoop- Frequently 2.5 to 5.5 hours per shift
- Pushing/Pulling- Frequently 2.5 to 5.5 hours per shift
- Fine Manipulation- Frequently 2.5 to 5.5 hours per shift
- Stress Level- Moderate
AST operates a state-of-the-art weather forecasting center, including McIDAS workstations, one-of-a-kind dual-polarized Doppler weather radar, an atoll-wide lightning detection, and surface observation network. This may be an accompanied position. AST offers competitive wages, an excellent benefits package, and 401k plans.
AST is an excellent place to work, a professional environment that is challenging, rewarding, creative, and respectful of ideas and individuals. AST strives to provide exceptional value to our clients, and fair reward to the service team through competitive compensation and benefits.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and skills.
Atmospheric Science Technology, LLC (AST) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, or mental or physical disability provided the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation.
The ADA defines “reasonable accommodation” as a change or adjustment to a job or work environment that allows a qualified individual with a disability to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of a particular job and does not cause undue hardship for the employer. Examples of reasonable accommodations may include: Additional modifying equipment or devices; Modified work schedules; Providing an interpreter; or Making the work environment readily accessible to individuals with disabilities.
- This Organization Participates in E-Verify- https://e-verify.uscis.gov/web/media/resourcesContents/E-Verify_Participation_Poster_ES.pdf
- “Right to Work” – https://www.e-verify.gov/sites/default/files/everify/posters/IER_RighttoWorkPoster.pdf
- “Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination” Provision – https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/OFCCP/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.