Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is expanding its support of the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM http://www.arm.gov) radar program. The ARM Program operates and maintains of a network of fixed and mobile sites providing data to the climate research community. ARM sites include a broad array of instrumentation including radars, lidars, radiometers, and meteorological sensors. The candidate will become a member of a team of engineers and technicians responsible for the operations and maintenance of microwave and millimeter wavelength radars deployed around world, ensuring the data output is calibrated and of research quality for the scientific community.
The successful candidate has the ability to troubleshoot complex systems that include RF and electronic components and electromechanical systems and has general engineering experience. Day-to-day duties involve the installation, repair, upgrade, calibration, maintenance, and operational assessment of the of radars in the global ARM radar network. The candidate will work with team members that span a broad area of expertise, including engineers, scientists, and technicians. The candidate must be self-motivated, able to work with little supervision, take initiative to complete projects, and flexible to adapt to changing project needs. The position involves periodic travel (15-20%) to ARM sites in the US and around the world.
The preferred candidate will have skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Radar or RF/Communications Systems
- Signal and data processing techniques
- Data analysis to evaluate system performance
- Troubleshooting and testing electronic systems
The ideal candidate will have experience/background in:
- Pulsed Doppler radar theory
- Dual-polarization technology
- Calibration of RF systems
- System integration and field support
- Familiarity with Linux/Unix
- Computer hardware/software integration
- Understanding of control systems
- Programming experience with Shell scripting, Python, Matlab, and C/C++
- Experience with Linux/Unix that include OS installation and configuration
For more information please visit https://www.pnnl.gov/atmospheric/jobs.asp and look for job 310074.
To apply for this job please visit www.pnnl.gov.