Research Associate – Winter Weather/Transportation
This is a career-track MS-level research associate position on our Transportation Applications Team at the Cooperative Institute for Severe and High-Impact Weather Research and Operations (CIWRO; formerly CIMMS) at the University of Oklahoma in collaboration with NOAA’s National Severe Storms Laboratory.
The incumbent will perform applied research with stakeholders in the NWS, FAA, and DOT. The ideal candidate is someone who wants to be part of a highly-collaborative team, is interested in developing decision-support tools for operations, and who enjoys computer programming. Once quarantine restrictions are lifted, the position will be based at the National Weather Center in Norman, OK (bit.ly/oklanwc). This position offers the opportunity for career development in the form of promotion opportunities, the ability to participate in interagency collaborations on a wide range of topics, visibility in the broader field at conferences, workshops, and testbeds, and a rewards/merits system that acknowledges professional excellence.
The Transportation Applications Team is a small, but highly-energetic, group of MS and PhD- level researchers who work cooperatively with partners in operations to develop decision-support tools for aviation and road transportation. The incumbent will have the opportunity to contribute to existing projects as well as engage in their own projects. For more information on group activities visit: bit.ly/ciwrotat
- Support applied research of observations, models, and tools as they apply to the transportation sector and/or winter-weather forecasting
- Assist in the transition of decision-support products for winter weather and the transportation sector into operational systems at the NWS, FAA and DOT
- Participate in the public dissemination of research via conferences, workshops, and peer- reviewed journal articles
- An MS in meteorology (or a related field)
- Computer programming experience
Previous related research experience is not expected.
The salary is based on experience and includes University benefits (http://hr.ou.edu/). Other benefits include…
- Reduced membership at OU’s 80,000 sq. ft. fitness and aquatic center (https://www.ou.edu/far)
- Flexible work hours
- Generous personal leave
How to Apply
Send a statement of interest, CV, and a list of three references to: email@example.com
Enter in subject line: ATTN: Winter Weather/Transportation
For more info about this position, please contact Dr. Heather Reeves (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Work/Life Balance at CIWRO
- We support a diverse, nondiscrimantory workforce that respects the culture, beliefs, and practices of all employees.
- Flexible work hours and easy area commutes enable employees to address personal needs without sacrificing personal leave.
- Our structured career-track program allows for advancement and professional prestige while maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
Living in Norman, OK
- Norman is a beautiful small city with a burgeoning arts movement, lively concert series, and numerous athletic events.
- The cost of living is very low in Norman (/bit.ly/livenorman), allowing employees of CIWRO live within about a 10-minute drive of the National Weather Center.
- Big-city amenities are only a 20-30-minute drive away. Several nearby lakes and nature preserves offer additional recreation and entertainment.
The University of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
The University of Oklahoma has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination or initiate the accommodations process before their first day of employment.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com